ENGL 3010: GIL Express
Who’s eligible for GIL Express?
Students, faculty, and staff in good standing are eligible for GIL Express. Patrons with overdue books or fines will not be able to request books through GIL Express
What materials can be borrowed through GIL Express?
Currently only books that circulate may be requested. For articles and materials not in the GIL Universal Catalog, contact the DSC Interlibrary Loan Office.
How do I request a book from another USG library and does it cost anything?
Search the GIL Catalog @ gilfind.daltonstate.edu for the book you need; change the pull down from Dalton State to University System of Georgia. When the item is on the screen, click on “Get It”, "More Libraries", and select a library where the book is available - then select a Pick Up Library. Borrowing a book and returning it promptly doesn't’t cost anything, but there are other fines and fees.
How can I monitor the books I’ve requested and their due dates?
Patrons should check their GIL account often by clicking on “My Account” from the GIL Catalog home page http://gilfind.daltonstate.edu Your account shows requests that have been canceled, which items are in transit or available to be picked up, due dates, etc., but you must select each Library separately to monitor the books from that library. You can renew your DSC and GIL Express books from this screen.
When will my book arrive?
Books should be received in 4-5 business days usually – 2 days in process and 2 days for shipment. If a book request can’t be filled, there will be a notice in your GIL Account, and some libraries will send an cancelation notice to your DSC email account.
What’s the loan period for a GIL Express book?
The usual loan period is 28 days; two renewals are allowed. Some libraries require that all their books be returned at the end of each semester, so occasionally due dates may be less than 4 weeks.
Are there overdue fines for GIL Express books?
Currently overdue fines aren’t charged, but there is a replacement fee plus a $35 processing fee for lost books, damage fees, and recall fees for overdue items. Some libraries charge steep recall fees (several dollars per day) if they recall an overdue book for one of their patrons.
How am I notified when the materials are received?
You will receive an automated email to your college email account from the Library that lent the book.
How do I pay for lost books or fines?
A GIL Express transaction is between you and the USG library that lent the book. Roberts Library can’t monitor your requests for you nor accept payment of fines. There is a list of USG library contacts at the Roberts Library Circulation Desk and in the ILL office (Library 103). Some libraries are set up to accept credit card payment over phone, but in other cases you may have to send a check.
Where do I return GIL Express books?
GIL Express books can be returned to any University System of Georgia Library. Your account will be cleared when a book is discharged at any USG library.
My account is blocked, what does this mean?
Accounts are blocked for one overdue item or a $10 unpaid balance at any library in the University System of Georgia. To clear the block, the overdue book must be returned and discharged or the balance paid.
For more information, contact the DSC ILL office @ 706-272-2474 or firstname.lastname@example.org or visit Library 133.
How to Request a GIL Express
The Libraries of the USG share a Universal Catalog which allows patrons of any USG Library to directly request books from the Circulating collections of other USG Libraries.
1) Log into your Library account in GIL-Find @ gilfind.daltonstate.edu with the first part of your email address and your email passworld
2) Search Roberts Library first.
3) Search the USG libraries.
4) Click on "Get It"
5) Click on "More Libraries"
6) Select a Library where it shows Available.
7) The message "Your GIL Express was successful" will appear. If it didn't, consult this Library Guide's Troubleshooting tab.
8) Monitor your requests by clicking on "My Account" in the GIL Catalog.
Reasons your request might not be successful:
- The item is an item type or location that doesn’t circulate in GIL Express. Only BOOKS from Libraries' circulating collections are available via GIL Express - not articles, reference books, microfim, electronic books, etc.
- You have fines or overdues at any USG library. One overdue book or $10 of fines will block your account at all USG libraries!
- The item is checked out.
- A library network server is down.
- You specified your home library as DSC, the pick up library as DSC, and the book from DSC—one location must be different.
- Your library account has expired.
Item not available in the GIL UC or request not successful?
To request articles and books not available from USG libraries, visit or contact the DSC Interlibrary Loan Dept. at 706-272-2474 (office 133) or email@example.com