Library Policies and Procedures: Interlibrary loan
Interlibrary Loan Policy
DALTON STATE COLLEGE
DERRELL C. ROBERTS LIBRARY
The Derrell C. Roberts Library of Dalton State College seeks to avoid violation of copyright laws by adhering to guidelines developed by CONTU, the Commission on New Technological Uses of Copyrighted Works.
These restrictions limit Dalton State interlibrary loan (ILL) requests to five article requests per periodical title, per calendar year, from any issues within the current five-year period, and only one article may be requested per issue. When the total requests for a particular title exceed five or a second article is requested from an issue, copyright fees must be paid to the publisher. All fees are the responsibility of the person requesting the loan.
To comply with national and state interlibrary codes, all interlibrary loan transactions follow the protocols established in the American Library Association’s Interlibrary Loan Code for the United States and the Georgia Library Association’s Interlibrary Loan Code for Georgia Libraries.
ILL is not an alternative to collection development for any area of the Roberts Library.
In order to provide expeditious ILL service, these guidelines apply:
1. ILL service is available only to current faculty, staff, students, and retired faculty of Dalton State College. Non-Dalton State users, including those with library issued community patron cards and students with recreational reading requests, should contact their local public library for interlibrary loan service.
2. Students are limited to six course-related requests at any one time, whether pending or currently in use. Upper division students, faculty and staff may request twenty items at a time.
3. Through several library consortia, Dalton State can borrow most materials without charge, but some libraries do charge for loans. Any charges for borrowing must be paid by the person requesting the loan; the ILL form has a place to indicate willingness to pay for a request. Once a request is made, any incurred charges must be paid. The requestor must pay for any other charges, such as overdues, loss, or damage.
4. Requests for interlibrary loans are to comply with the above stated national and state guidelines.
5. As interlibrary loan is a privilege extended by the lending institution, that institution's restrictions on use are to be followed (such as when a book on loan may not be taken out of the Roberts Library). Any violation of these restrictions placed upon the Roberts Library will be cause for cancellation of the remaining loan period, and the immediate return of the material.
6. Renewal requests for materials received through interlibrary loan should be made prior to the return date stated on the wrapper of the loaned material. Renewals may not be made when the lending library has specifically prohibited this option. Any item recalled from a lending library must be returned to the Roberts Library immediately.
7. The continuing violation of ILL privileges by any individual will be cause for restriction of their use of the service. The Library Director will handle such matters.
Revised December 2017
Approved by Faculty Senate 2/8/18
Lost interlibrary loan items will be handled in accordance with the library's Circulation Policy:
There will be a grace period of 1 week before fees are charged. If an item is not returned by the due date, there will be a processing fee and a replacement cost charged to the borrower. Fees remain on patron records and his/her account will be blocked until the item is returned in good condition (within one month of the due date) and or the full fee amount has been paid. The following fees are charged per item:
Books: If an item is not returned at the end of the semester, there will be a processing fee and a replacement cost charged to the borrower. The processing fee for a book is $20.00. The default lost item replacement fee is $75.00, but could be more depending on the title.
AV Equipment: The fine will be $50.00 per day per item. If the item is lost, there will be a processing fee and a replacement cost charged to the borrower. The processing fee is $50.00 and the lost item replacement fee will be $250.00, but could be more depending on the item.