Section 508 Compliance/Accessibility: Student - GeorgiaVIEW ReadSpeaker (screen reader)
What is ReadSpeaker/Text Aid and how can it help me?
ReadSpeaker is a text-to-speak technology that is integrated into the GeorgiaVIEW system and is more than just helping you as a screen reader or for adding audio to files. ReadSpeaker allows you to customize your learning experience in many ways. For instance, if you are a distracted reader, then you can use a page mask or reading ruler. You can use the Enlarge Text tool to increase the font size so that you stay focused on the immediate part of the text. ReadSpeaker products read the text as it is highlighted. This can also help you increase your vocabulary. You are also using two modes of learning - seeing and hearing. When you engage more than one mode of learning, you increase your retention of the subject. Below are three major functions of ReadSpeaker that can help with learning preferences, your use of electronic textbooks, dyslexia issues, distracted readers, typing issues, and eye strain to name a few.
webReader - reads all html files created by the instructor - ReadSpeaker webReader 3.0: How-to Videos
DocReader - reads most all documents uploaded by the instructor - ReadSpeaker docReader: How-to Videos
TextAid - an extension and bookmarklet used to read all other parts of Brightspace and webpages - ReadSpeaker TextAid: How-to Videos
Other tasks and use cases:
- Use library databases to research your topic.
- Upload text articles into TextAid and mark them up with highlighting and annotations
- Compose the paper and proof-listen to it.
- Use the dictation feature and correct the grammar afterwards.
- Students like to take pictures with their cell phones of important notes
- Convert the images to editable text and then expand upon these notes
- Group owners can share documents with group or individual members - great for the disabilities office