ENGL 1102: Home
GALILEO & Literature Databases
GALILEO is a collection of about 300 databases. It is possible to do a search of many databases at once, or you can search individual databases. When searching a database, you can bring up multiple search boxes by selecting "Advanced Search."
- Literature Online Premium (LION) (ProQuest)Full-text library of over 330,000 works.
- MLA International BibliographyA detailed bibliography of journal articles, books, and dissertations.
- Literature Criticism OnlineThe largest curated online collection of literary criticism in the world.
- Literary Reference Center PlusReference works, books, and literary journals as well as original content.
- Academic Search Complete This link opens in a new windowA multi-disciplinary database, including full-text to more than 5,100 peer-reviewed journals. Indexes and abstracts 10,600 publications including monographs, reports, conference proceedings, etc.
- Research Library (ProQuest)Search from a highly-respected, diversified mix of scholarly journals, professional and trade publications, and magazines covering over 150 subjects and topics.
- Films on DemandOver 17,000 professional quality educational videos covering all disciplines. Users can customize video clips.
- ProQuest Dissertations & Theses A&IDissertation Abstracts (ProQuest Dissertations and Theses) covers dissertations accepted at accredited U.S. institutions since 1861.
- JSTORJSTOR provides access to more than 12 million academic journal articles, books, and primary sources in 75 disciplines.
- ProQuest CentralProQuest Central brings together 30 highly used ProQuest databases to create the largest single academic research resource.
Other Relevant Databases
- Arts & Humanities Database (ProQuest)Peer-reviewed journals, selected trade, and consumer titles relevant to applied arts and cultural studies
- Religion & Philosophy CollectionReligion and Philosophy full text.
- Chronicling America: Historic American NewspapersNearly 3,000 digitized newspapers from 1789-1963
- History Reference Center (EBSCOhost)Full-text history reference database
- Sociology Database (ProQuest)Full-text of more than 310 journals
- Sociological CollectionMore than 475 full-text titles
GALILEO Literature Search
This is an example of an Advanced Search using GALILEO, after playing with ideas and search terms.
1. Notice each box has a separate concept. If I am searching for themes about women in Chopin's work, I can add women in a second box. If I am okay with an article that uses the word female instead of women, I can add that word, using OR between the two words. I could also add OR girls OR gender, and so on.
2. If I want to add another concept, I use another box. I could add the title of the work I am studying here, or choose another concept. You may be looking at themes that the author has used repeatedly in their work. Chopin looked at the place of women in society. Soci* is a shortcut to look for the words social, or society--or anything beginning with s-o-c-i.
3. Checking the disciplines "Literature & Writing" and "Sociology," down below, is not necessary, but may help focus your search. Choosing disciplines limits the GALILEO databases searched, leaving out articles found in business or nursing databases, for example.
This search may give you some ideas for your own search in this database, in GALILEO or another database. The Arts & Humanities Database includes the performing arts, and some articles in it may not show up in a GALILEO search.
FIND IT: Find the Full Text of an Article
In your list of database search results, some citations will not include the full text of the article.
When that happens, in most Dalton State databases you will see a tool called to help you access the full text of articles.
The button will link you to the articles if they are available in other DSC library databases.
If that doesn't help, look to see if there is an icon indicating. This is an icon meaning the article can be found free, on the web.
- Interlibrary LoanIf our collection doesn't include the article you want, you may request it from another library. You tell us what you want and we'll find out who has it and ask for a copy--usually for free.
LIBRARY CATALOG to find books and more
The gil-FIND catalog at Dalton State searches for books, (print and e-books), government documents, videos and video clips (from Films-on-Demand) and more. There are over 470,000 e-books and over 40,000 streaming videos available online. For tips to use, go to the video.
University System of Georgia Catalog and GIL Express
Using the above Library Catalog, gil-FIND link, change the default to University System of Georgia libraries and log in, using your Dalton State credentials (Sign in at upper right). Current DSC students, faculty, and staff may request and borrow materials not owned by the library through a service called GIL Express.Interlibrary Loan (ILL)
If you need a book not available in the GIL-Find or GIL Universal Catalogs (or an article not in our databases), current DSC students, faculty, and staff may request materials through Interlibrary Loan. This service can take 3-10 days, so plan ahead!