ENGL 1101: Step 4 FIND BOOKS
How are Books Organized?
Library of Congress Classification Not Dewey Decimal
- Books are organized by broad subject area.
- Each item is assigned a call number, which is the book's address, found on the book spine.
- Each call number begins with a letter or multiple letters, followed by numbers and additional combinations
- Sample Call Number: HQ784.V53 A53 2007
- The beginning letters of a call number represent a broad subject area (ie HQ784 is "child development")
- Use gilFIND, the Library Catalog to find a call number for your topic, then browse around that book.