GEOL 1122 Historical Geology: Caves, Earthquakes, and Volcanoes
Caves, Earthquakes, and Volcanoes
- Geology of CavesThis pamphlet from the U.S. Geological Survey explains different types of caves.
- Exploring Caves"Exploring Caves" is an interdisciplinary set of materials on caves for grades K-3. Caves entail at least five scientific disciplines: earth science, hydrology, mapping, biology, and anthropology. Each of these disciplines involves a unique content area as well as the development of particular intellectual skills.
- The Virtual CaveThis website provides information and diagrams on four types of caves.
- USGS Volcanoes GlossaryDefinitions and explanations for a variety of volcano terms.
- Mysterious Life of CavesDeveloped to accompany the NOVA PBS show The Mysterious Life of Caves, which aired in 2002. It contains information on how caves form, cave life, Lechuguilla cave, a teacher's guide and links to a page with a list of cave organizations and books on caves.
- Journey into Amazing CavesDeveloped for the IMAX movie Journey Into Amazing Caves, including information about the production of the film, which was partly funded by the National Science Foundation. The site contains links to cave location maps, and information resources that can be used to learn about caves, cave ecology & microbiology, preservation, a teacher's guide, list of caves that can be toured and other information resources on caves.
- Show CavesThis web site is an online guide to commercial and government operated "show caves" (caves that can be toured), from around the world.