Disability Support Services
Coordinator of Disability Support Services
Pope Student Center, lower level
A personal note....
Welcome to Dalton State! It is my hope that this libguide will provide you with a wealth of information about Disability Support Services. It is important to me to build a relationship with students, faculty, and staff so that I am able to assist you in whatever areas I can. I am available at any time for questions. Thank you for taking time to explore Disability Support Services and I look forward to serving you.
Disability Support Services (DSS) strives to meet the needs of students with disabilities by facilitating the application process, coordinating provision of reasonable accommodations, and serving as an advocate and support for both the student and the institution.
WHO ARE THESE SERVICES FOR?
Any person who has a physical or mental condition that substantially limits one or more major life activities, such as: learning, walking, seeing, hearing, speaking, and breathing, may be eligible for accommodations. Some of the conditions for which help may be provided include:
- Cognitive impairments
- Mobility impairments
- Visual impairments
- Emotional conditions
- Pervasive Developmental Disorders (Autism Spectrum Disorder)
- Hearing impairments
- Learning disabilities
- Attention disorders (AD/HD)
- Chronic illnesses
WHAT KIND OF HELP/ACCOMMODATIONS ARE THERE?
Please note that this list is not inclusive of all accommodations that can be provided by Dalton State, nor are all students eligible for all accommodations.
- COMPASS entrance/exit exam accommodations
- Extended test time
- Designated note takers
- American Sign Language interpreters
- Closed Captioning services
- Alternative Media Equipment, such as: adapted key boards, monitors, and software
- Adjustable tables and seating
- Alternative Format Materials, such as: e-text, Braille, and enlarged print
I'M READY TO APPLY, WHAT NOW?
A request for Disability Support Services may be done at any time. However, you are encouraged to contact the DSS office as early as possible.
It is the student's responsibility to:
- Contact Academic Resources and request an appointment to discuss the process for voluntarily self-disclosing a disability and for requesting accommodations
- Submit professional documentation. Allow time to review the documentation, explain the accommodations that are desired, and to complete an application and confidentiality agreement
- Permit the staff at Dalton State to consult with the appropriate entities to determine eligibility and appropriate accommodations
- Work with Disability Support Services, faculty, and staff to complete the steps required to arrange your accommodations