COMM 1110: Books
PLACES TO FIND BOOKS
University System of Georgia Catalog
Change the search default in the gil-FIND catalog to University System of Georgia libraries. Current DSC students, faculty, and staff may request and borrow materials not owned by the library through GIL Express. Log in and use the Get It link for this free service.
WorldCat is a catalog of materials owned by libraries worldwide. If we don't own a title, request it through Interlibrary Loan (below).
If you need a book not available in the GIL-Find or GIL Universal Catalogs (or an article not in our databases) current DSC students, faculty, and staff may request materials through Interlibrary Loan.
How are Books Organized?
Library of Congress Classification Not Dewey Decimal
- Books are organized by broad subject area.
- Each item is assigned a call number, which is the book's address, found on the book spine.
- Each call number begins with a letter or multiple letters, followed by numbers and additional combinations
- Sample Call Number: HQ784.V53 A53 2007
- The beginning letters of a call number represent a broad subject area (ie HQ784 is "child development")
- Use gilFIND, the library Catalog to find a call number for your topic, then browse around that book.