COMM 1110: Books
How are Books Organized?
Library of Congress Classification
- Books are organized by broad subject area.
- Each item is assigned a call number, which is like the book's address.
- Each call number begins with a letter or multiple letters, followed by numbers and additional combinations
- Sample Call Number: HQ784.V53 A53 2007
- The beginning letters of a call number represent a broad subject area (ie HQ784 is "child development")
- Use the GIL Catalog to find a call number for your topic, then browse around that book.